« Back

Volleyball Comets Fall to 0-4 with Losses

It was a hard week for the Cottey College Comets last week as the volleyball team lost two road matches. On Wednesday, they lost in three games to Northeast Oklahoma A&M, 13-25, 18-25, 23-25, and on Friday, Labette Community College defeated the Comets in four games, 22-25, 8-25, 25-21, 22-25.

“It was a time of adjustment for my players to have to overcome a very excited and noisy gym Wednesday night,” said Cottey head coach Marla Kannady Foreman. “Game one scoring was a result of adjusting to the fans, but game two became a lack of proper blocking technique and angle. When you have a team that runs a lot of quicks, and a fast-tempo hitting game, it’s sometimes hard to read who is coming up to hit, because they send more than one player to attack. Defensively, I feel we are getting the rotation down a little better, but still need to make those adjustments when a team is hitting a slide, or we need to cover better if we decide to double block the quicks.”

Team leaders against NEO were Regan Kannady with two aces and nine assists, Maddie Lugenbeel with nine assists, Kelsey Davidson with six kills and four blocks, and Cassie Hale with 12 digs.

On Friday, a hard-hitting Labette team took it to the Comets in game two, but Cottey fought back to win game three. Two narrow losses in games one and four show that the Comets are competing and are close to a breakthrough match.

“After looking at game film, there are a lot of basic things we still need to work on,” said Foreman. “Watching game film can really help players understand their roles and help them see the mistakes that they are making throughout a match, so we will be doing that this week when we can. I was proud of the way in which they made the defensive change for the most part, because we had really only discussed it and gone over it in practice, not in a live game. I was also pleased with the fact that they didn't lay down after being defeated in the first two games, but came back with the determination to work harder at beating this team. My team has the potential to be successful. I have the confidence they will be soon!”

Team leaders for the Comets against Labette were Morgan Wheatley with three aces, Lugenbeel with 12 assists, Hale with 10 kills, Skyler Ford with three blocks, and Davidson with 10 digs.

The losses dropped the Comets to 0-4 on the young season. The next match for Cottey will be on Tuesday, September 10, when they travel to Lee’s Summit to face Region XVI powerhouse Longview Community College. The first home match of the season for Cottey will be on October 1 when Baptist Bible College visits from Springfield, Missouri.