« Back

Cottey Students Place at State Business Competition

Cottey College had two students place in the 54th Annual Missouri Phi Beta Lambda State Leadership Conference and Business Competition. First-year student Kirsten Bureman placed fourth in the Microeconomics event and second-year student Lorraine Chihora placed fifth in the Accounting Principles event.

"I am proud of the Cottey students who participated and placed in the competition," said Dr. Gary Lunkenheimer, associate professor of business and economics. "This is a great opportunity for students to showcase their skills and abilities and get just a glimpse of the future work world. I believe the students gain valuable experience from competing against their peers. Such experience will also help in future job searches."

"I would encourage all students to join and compete in available college organizations that are applicable to one's career field," Dr. Lunkenheimer stated.

Phi Beta Lambda is a national organization for students at the collegiate level who plan to pursue careers in the business environment. Phi Beta Lambda students develop leadership and teamwork skills that will lead to future success. There are over 11,000 active members in the U.S.  Missouri has nearly 400 members in 22 chapters.  Students from colleges and universities across Missouri including University of Missouri-Columbia, Truman State University, Evangel University, Crowder College, Missouri State University, State Fair Community College as well as many others competed at the conference. 

PBL offers a great opportunity for business students to practice their skills learned in the classroom in business competitive events before entering the world of work.