« Back

The Cottey College Comets defeated the Red Devils from Wentworth Military Academy for the second time this season.

The Cottey College Comets defeated the Red Devils from Wentworth Military Academy for the second time this season. This time the Red Devils took the Comets to five games, but the home team came out to the good 25-14, 25-23, 21-25, 20-25, and 15-9.

"In games one and two the Comets maintained an aggressive attacking mode," said head coach Marla Kannady Foreman. "I was pleased to see how we started game two, because in the past, we have always played lax. About halfway through game two, the Red Dragons started making fewer errors, and began overcoming their poor play to make it a close one.

"In game three, the Red Dragons flipped completely from a team of errors to a very aggressive and defending team. My players had their two wins in, and even though we still played well we allowed ourselves to become lulled into mediocre play, assuming Wentworth would continue to make the same bad errors. Before you know it, game three and four became their wins, and we were forced into a fifth game.

"In game five, Lauren [Johnson] started the serve for us, and really stepped up into a 'get this done' mode, which allowed her to obtain her three aces on the night in that fifth game. That set off the spark for the rest of the team to take advantage of the opportunity to take them down quickly.

"Teams exchange sides of the net at eight points in the fifth game, and we had an 8-1 lead when we switched. As we made the switch, Wentworth tried very hard to get back in it, and I had to call a time out at 9-4 and again at 14-9, to get us back on track. After my last time out, we scored the winning point, to beat them in five."

Team leaders for the Comets were Johnson with three aces, Alexis Self with 17 assists and seven kills, Skyler Ford with six blocks, and Kymee Bair with 34 digs.

The win raises the Comets' record to 6-5 on the season. Cottey travels to Iola, Kansas, on Friday, September 28 to face Allen County Community College. The next home match will be on October 5, when the Comets face Baptist Bible College.